Historical façade of the pavilion Agriculture has been restored
The restoration of the facade of Pavilion No. 58 ‘Agriculture’ (former ‘Ukrainian SSR’) on VDNH has been completed. The experts have restored the unique decorative elements of the façade and the coat of arms decorated with smalt mosaic, which was adorning the entrance to the pavilion. The stained-glass artwork ‘Pereyaslovskaya Rada’ has been restored to its original appearance.
The works at this cultural heritage site of federal importance started in 2017. The front of the Agriculture Pavilion has a spectacular design: light beige glazed ceramic tiles decorated with patterns of plants, crops and animals that were the pride of the Republic. Portals are decorated with colourful ceramic elements showing pears, apples, grapes, pumpkins and other fruit. The building is crowned with a blue decorative pattern across its perimeter and brown column capitals. The first storey is marked by a composition of sickles and hammers together with wheat sprouts.
The pattern is made of ceramic blocks manufactured at the Kiev Experimental Ceramic Art Factory in 1954. The building’s corners are decorated with concrete sculptures of young women wearing wreaths covered with golden smalt. The entrance near the Stone Flower fountain has two obelisks, as well as the sculptures Industrial Stakhanovites and Rural Stakhanovites. During works specialists have completely fixed up the decorative elements of the front: the spire and crowning star, second balcony (so-called rotunda) and its decoration, stained glass artworks, ceramic elements (tiles, column capitals, elements of entrance arch), stelae, coat of arms of the republic decorated with multicolored smalt, sculptures in the entrance area and on the top of the first balcony have been restored.
It is to be recalled that pavilion No. 58 Agriculture was designed by Aleksei Tatsiy for the opening of the 1954 exhibition. He was also the author of the pre-war temporary wooden pavilion. It was the largest pavilion representing the Republic. For the first ten years it was used to display Ukraine’s agricultural achievements, and as VDNH moved to the industry principle, it housed the exhibition of farm crops. Once the pavilion’s interior restoration works are finished, the museum of Russian writing will be open there.